Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
New England News
Thu August 2, 2012
Governor Patrick Signs Crime Bill
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick has signed into law a crime bill with a so-called three strikes provision. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
A spokesman said Gov Patrick signed the bill Thursday morning in a private ceremony in his office. The bill, which bars parole after a person’s third conviction for a serious violent crime, had been a point of conflict between the Governor and legislators. Patrick announced on the last day of the legislative session he would sign the bill thus avoiding a veto showdown.
Present for the bill signing was a leading crime victim’s advocate, Les Gosule. His daughter Mellissa was raped and murdered in 1999 by a man who had 27 prior convictions.