Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New England News
Mon June 25, 2012
Governor Patrick to Speak to Grads of Re-Entry Program
Governor Deval Patrick will address graduates of two federal court programs aimed at helping defendants and high risk ex-offenders. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
The Court Assisted Recovery Effort program helps defendants maintain sober, employed and law-abiding lives through closer supervision and assistance.
The RESTART program, which stands for Reentry: Empowering Successful Todays and Responsible Tomorrows, is a voluntary program for offenders on supervised release. Successful completion of the program results in a one-year reduction in the time that a participant is sentenced to supervised release.
Patrick will speak to the program participants during a graduation ceremony Monday in U.S. District Court.
Chief U.S. District Judge Mark Wolf, who will preside over the graduation, said the programs offer nontraditional alternatives and intense supervision to lower recidivism rates.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.