Most Active Stories
- MA And CT Declare State Of Emergency, Issues Travel Bans As Winter Blast Nears
- New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Arrested On Corruption Charges
- NYS Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Charged in Corruption Scheme
- Wrinkles In Schenectady Casino Planning
- International Paper Employee Dies From Injuries
WAMC New York News
Mon August 8, 2005
Groundbreaking Occurs on Major Border Renovation Project
By Pat Bradley
Champlain, NY – The U-S border crossing at Champlain NY is the third busiest truck crossing between the U-S and Canada, and the fourth busiest overall. In 2002, more than 2-million cars and 600-thousand trucks went through the Champlain border crossing, and more than 13-billion dollars in goods were processed. It's location on Interstate 87 - the main highway between Montreal and New York City - has made it the key economic gateway between those two cities.
Officials gathered near the current U-S border Monday to break ground for a new U-S Port of Entry. The 100-million dollar project will completely change the face of the border facility, providing for state-of-the-art security, while enhancing its commerce and tourism functions.
WAMC's North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley was at the groundbreaking in Champlain....