Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
WAMC New York News
Wed December 15, 2004
Groups Call for Stricter Mercury Controls
By Pat Bradley
Montpelier, VT – The New England Zero Mercury Campaign on Tuesday revealed that a number of toys and novelty items being sold in stores contain small batteries containing mercury. While their presentation pointed out that the so-called "button-batteries" are illegal in several states in the region, the group is using the situation to launch a larger campaign to rid New England of mercury contamination. WAMC's North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley has more.