Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
North Country News
Tue March 26, 2013
Guilty Plea in Vermont Town Embezzlement
A former Vermont town clerk and treasurer has pleaded guilty to embezzling several hundred thousand dollars from the town of Weybridge.
The Burlington Free Press reports that Karen Brisson served for about 28 years in Weybridge, a town of less than 900 residents 30 miles south of Burlington.
Prosecutors say Brisson stole money from 2006 to 2012, by writing checks from the town to herself. Officials say a forensic audit puts the town's loss at $476,000.
Brisson's attorney says Brisson's home is for sale and she has signed the mortgage over to the town. The town says it has a $500,000 insurance plan through the Vermont League of Cities and Towns.
She is scheduled to be sentenced in July.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.