Most Active Stories
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
Hudson Valley News
Mon December 31, 2012
Gun Group Calls For Boycott of Journal-News Advertisers
The New York State Rifle & Pistol Association is calling for a nationwide boycott of the advertisers of the Journal-News. WAMC's Dave Lucas has more...
The association wants the Hudson Valley newspaper to take down maps posted on its website that disclose the names and addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties.
The gun group is urging citizens to avoid doing business with any company that advertises with Journal News parent company Gannett until the maps are removed.
On its website, the association argues that the Journal News has made no credible case, or any valid reason for releasing the data, and claims the maps serve no investigative or journalistic purpose. The group also states that it views the newspaper's action "as an attempt to intimidate and bully lawful gun-owning citizens."
Janet Hasson, the President & Publisher of The Journal News, did not immediately respond to a request for comment