Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Thu July 11, 2013
Hard Rock, West Springfield Mayor Sign Casino Development Deal
The mayor of West Springfield, Massachusetts has signed an agreement with Hard Rock International which hopes to win the competition for a resort casino license in Western Massachusetts.
The agreement guarantees West Springfield a minimum payment of $18 million annually. An additional $8 million per year would be paid to surrounding communities. Mayor Gregory Neffinger said the deal he negotiated also calls for upfront payments of more than $40 million to improve traffic, infrastructure and public safety.
Hard Rock wants to build the $800 million casino on part of the Big E fairgrounds. The agreement must pass a voter referendum tentatively scheduled for September 10th. MGM in Springfield and Mohegan Sun in Palmer also want the lone casino license available in western Massachusetts.