Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
New England News
Thu July 11, 2013
Hard Rock, West Springfield Mayor Sign Casino Development Deal
The mayor of West Springfield, Massachusetts has signed an agreement with Hard Rock International which hopes to win the competition for a resort casino license in Western Massachusetts.
The agreement guarantees West Springfield a minimum payment of $18 million annually. An additional $8 million per year would be paid to surrounding communities. Mayor Gregory Neffinger said the deal he negotiated also calls for upfront payments of more than $40 million to improve traffic, infrastructure and public safety.
Hard Rock wants to build the $800 million casino on part of the Big E fairgrounds. The agreement must pass a voter referendum tentatively scheduled for September 10th. MGM in Springfield and Mohegan Sun in Palmer also want the lone casino license available in western Massachusetts.