Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New England News
Wed September 19, 2012
Head of Mass. national guard retires after probe
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick says he has accepted the resignation of the commander of the Massachusetts National Guard, who was under investigation for an alleged rape in Florida in 1984.
Maj. Gen. Joseph Carter was placed on paid leave by Patrick in March, pending a criminal investigation by the U.S. Army.
In a statement released on Wednesday, Patrick said he has received the final report from the Army and that investigators had been unable to reach "definitive conclusions" about the allegations and Carter would not be prosecuted. But Patrick said the report raised "serious concerns" about Carter's actions.
The governor said Carter informed him on Wednesday that he planned to retire.
Maj. Gen. Leon Scott Rice will continue to serve as acting adjutant general of the Massachusetts National Guard.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.