Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New England News
Wed April 25, 2012
Hearing Set in Case Against Ex-MA Treasurer
A hearing is scheduled in the case against ex-state Treasurer Timothy Cahill and two of his former aides. WAMC's Tristan O'Neill reports...
Cahill is accused of airing taxpayer-funded ads for the state lottery as a means of promoting his own unsuccessful campaign for governor in 2010. He has denied any wrongdoing.
Scott Campbell, Cahill's former top aide, and Alfred Grazioso, the lottery's former chief of staff, have also pleaded not guilty.
A pre-trial conference is scheduled for Wednesday in Suffolk Superior Court. It wasn't known if Cahill would attend.
He's charged with violating state ethics laws and procurement fraud, and conspiracy to violate those laws.
Cahill served two terms as treasurer as a Democrat before running for governor as an independent. The state treasurer oversees the lottery.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.