Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- MTA Police Identify Passengers Who Died In Metro-North Train Derailment
Fri May 3, 2013
Help Wanted: Polar Bear Spotters
Originally published on Fri May 3, 2013 12:14 pm
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm David Greene with a summer job opportunity - if you're willing to move to the Arctic Circle and if you're not afraid of bears. The Norwegian government is looking for the polar bear spotters. Your job: to warn researchers when bears come in a little too close. A successful candidate should enjoy the outdoors and be competent with firearms. An official said polar bear spotters will not have to fire a gun as long as they have a loud voice to scare off bears. That's reassuring.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.