Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
New England News
Sat October 26, 2013
High Court Justice Asked To Dismiss Lawsuit Against Gov. Patrick
A justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court is weighing if a lawsuit against Governor Patrick by a failed nominee to a district court judgeship in Berkshire County should move forward.
Pittsfield attorney Michael McCarthy is joined in the civil suit by former Governor’s Councilor Mary Ellen Manning and current Councilor Michael Albano of Longmeadow
McCarthy’s nomination to the bench was rejected last year when the Governor’s Council deadlocked with Manning abstaining from the vote. She later wrote to the governor to change her vote to confirm McCarthy’s nomination, but Patrick would not accept it. An assistant attorney general this week argued a motion to dismiss the suit. Justice Margot Botsford did not indicate how soon she might rule.