Most Active Stories
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- The Gooey Chocolate Cookie Recipe That's Worth $5,000
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
WAMC New England News
Tue August 29, 2006
A History of the Colonial Theatre
By Carrie Saldo
Pittsfield, MA – After two years of reconstruction and decades of planning and wrangling, it's showtime tonight at Pittsfield's renovated Colonial Theatre. The curtain goes up on the touring company of the Broadway hit "Rent" and the former vaudeville theater and movie house will be off-and-running as a centerpiece of the city's economic rebirth. The century-old theater will present more than 50 productions during its opening season from now until next May. The entire project cost nearly 22-million dollars.
Berkshire Bureau Chief, Carrie Saldo, takes a look at the history of the Colonial Theater.