Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New England News
Fri May 24, 2013
Holiday Travel Forecast To Be Average
The still somewhat sluggish economy is expected to hold down holiday travel this holiday weekend.
AAA is expecting Memorial Day weekend travel to be about the same as the last three years. In New England, the automobile club is forecasting 1.42 million people will travel 50 miles or more during the holiday, with the majority going by car. Gasoline prices have been climbing, but the average price is about 25 cents per gallon less than it was a year ago. As it as done in years past, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation will suspend highway construction projects between noon Friday and Tuesday morning. Massachusetts State Police have announced extra patrols with an emphasis on catching speeders, reckless , and drunken drivers.