Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
New England News
Fri May 24, 2013
Holiday Travel Forecast To Be Average
The still somewhat sluggish economy is expected to hold down holiday travel this holiday weekend.
AAA is expecting Memorial Day weekend travel to be about the same as the last three years. In New England, the automobile club is forecasting 1.42 million people will travel 50 miles or more during the holiday, with the majority going by car. Gasoline prices have been climbing, but the average price is about 25 cents per gallon less than it was a year ago. As it as done in years past, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation will suspend highway construction projects between noon Friday and Tuesday morning. Massachusetts State Police have announced extra patrols with an emphasis on catching speeders, reckless , and drunken drivers.