Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Wed December 5, 2012
Holyoke Mayor Invites Regional Counterparts To Discuss Casino Impact
The mayor of Holyoke is inviting neighboring municipal officials to a meeting next week to discuss the regional impact of a resort casino development. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
Mayor Alex Morse sent invitations to his counterparts in Springfield, Chicopee and seven other cities and town to come together and discuss what he called “ one of the most important decisions to face our region” Easthampton Mayor Michael Tautznik said he’ll attend in person, or send a representative
The Holyoke mayor stunningly reversed his stand on a casino development and is now inviting proposals. Two developers are pursuing projects on sites along Interstate 91. Two casino operators are competing to build in different parts of downtown town Springfield. Officials from Palmer, where a casino has been proposed for several years, were not invited by Mayor Morse to next week’s meeting.