Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
New England News
Thu September 13, 2012
Holyoke Urban Renewal Plan Released
Officials in Holyoke Massachusetts have produced a plan to eliminate blight and bring redevelopment to impoverished neighborhoods. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
Holyoke’s Urban Renewal Plan calls for the redevelopment authority to acquire dozens of commercial, residential and industrial properties in the center city, more than 90 percent are abandoned buildings or vacant lots. Buildings with historic significance would be saved for renovation, the rest demolished. Mayor Alex Morse said it is an ambitious plan.
Public infrastructure projects include a canal walk and passenger rail platform, new sidewalks and street work to make downtown Holyoke more pedestrian and bicycle friendly.