Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Tue October 16, 2012
From Hot Dogs to Health...
Profits from Hot dogs, salty pretzels and soda pop sold at a hot dog stand became a financial engine that launched a health-oriented nonprofit - Hudson Valley Bureau Chief Dave Lucas has the story...
In 2010, Jon Salkin restored an original New York City bicycle-wheel hot dog cart... he set up his business along historic Warren Street in Hudson... as they say, the rest is history.
Using the hot dog stand profits, Salkin built his organization - its mission: prevent childhood obesity, diabetes, dehydration and dental disease. Salkin said it took two-and-half years to process all the paperwork.
The Hydration Education Foundation at www.gulpwater.org teaches children to choose plain water over sugary drinks. The Hydration Education Foundation's Lesson Plans have been introduced to schools in Alabama, California, Arizona, Florida, New York as well as in New Zealand and Australia.
There's more on twitter! The US Department of Agriculture has designated Hydration Education Foundation, Inc. as an Official Community Partner.