Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
Hudson Valley News
Fri November 23, 2012
Hudson Valley Unemployment Rises in October
All Hudson Valley and Catskill area counties in New York saw unemployment rise in October when compared to the same month last year. It dropped slightly in October when compared to September.
All Hudson Valley and Catskill area counties saw unemployment rise in October when compared to the same month last year. It dropped slightly in October when compared to September.
Despite that year over year increase in joblessness, State Labor Department analyst John Nelson is not overly concerned. “Overall the job market is still trending positive. Yes, the unemployment rate numbers are up from 6.9 percent in October 2011 to 7.4 percent, but there is still a lot of positive news in this job market, just the simple fact that the private sector employment in the region is still growing by about 1.3 percent in October,” he said.
The area county with the highest unemployment rate in October was Sullivan, at 9.3 percent, while the lowest was Putnam County, at 6.5 percent. Of the 13 metropolitan statistical areas in New York, the Putnam-Rockland-Westchester area ranked second. The Dutchess-Orange area ranked sixth and the Ulster County metro area ranked 11th.