Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
North Country News
Tue July 16, 2013
Immigrant Activist Danilo Lopez Gets to Stay
A Vermont group fighting for the rights of immigrant farm workers who are in the country illegally is declaring victory in its most high-profile individual case.
Danilo Lopez — a Mexican-born farm worker and activist threatened with deportation for nearly two years has been given permission to remain in the United States for at least another year.
Brendan O'Neill of the group Migrant Justice, which has been campaigning to keep Lopez in Vermont, calls the decision by federal immigration authorities a victory.
Lopez was a leader in the successful effort to create a new type of Vermont driver's license that would be available to people in the United States without the legally required documentation.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.