Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
New England News
Tue October 16, 2012
Jackie Guthrie, wife of singer Arlo Guthrie, dies at 68
Folk singer Arlo Guthrie has announced the death of his wife, Jackie, at age 68.
An obituary released by Guthrie's record label says Jackie Guthrie had inoperable cancer and died Sunday at the couple's winter home in Sebastian, Fla. They had recently celebrated their 43rd wedding anniversary.
In a Facebook posting, Guthrie says his relationship with his wife was "a very great love."
The couple also shared a home in Washington, in western Massachusetts. Guthrie's Facebook page says he's cancelling or postponing some upcoming shows and will begin a planned tour in Canada next week.
Jackie Guthrie grew up in Malibu, Calif., and met Arlo Guthrie in 1968 while she was working as a cashier in a Hollywood club, The Troubador.
She is survived by five children and 10 grandchildren.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.