Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Western Massachusetts School Investigates Allegations Of Inappropriate Sexual Conduct
Mon August 6, 2012
Jamie Bernstein - We are Women: A Bernstein Cabaret
From Jamie Bernstein and Michael Barrett comes We are Women: A Bernstein Cabaret. Devised from many of Bernstein's songs for or about women, evolves the story of a mother and daughter who navigate the tricky terrain of their love lives, and, along the way, learn to accept themselves and delight in the love of others.
Rather than telling the story in a fully fleshed-out manner, the narrative unfolds in a more abstract, universal way through a narration, while letting Bernstein's music fill the space between the lines. Because Bernstein's music has such emotional depth and color, this material readily lends itself to this structure.
An impressive cast of Broadway veterans performs this array of Bernstein songs, including tunes from his hits On the Town, Candide and West Side Story, with music direction by Michael Barrett of Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts. Jamie Bernstein, the daughter of the late musical genius, Leonard Bernstein will narrate the musical revue at The Colonial from August 9th through the 12th.
WAMC New England News