Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New England News
Thu August 2, 2012
Jobs Bill Awaits Governor Patrick's Signature
A bill designed to spur economic development in Massachusetts is on Governor Deval Patrick’s desk. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports
The 115 page jobs bill given final approval by the state legislature on the final day of its session establishes a $50 mllion dollar research fund for the state’s universities. UMass Amherst spokesman Ed Blaguszewski says the fund will be a source for researchers to compete for matching grants.
Supporters of the jobs bill say research is the foundation of the state’s innovation economy.The bill also includes $5 million dollars to help un employed workers learn new skills. There are a variety of tax breaks and other incentives to spur economic activity…