Most Active Stories
- MA And CT Declare State Of Emergency, Issues Travel Bans As Winter Blast Nears
- New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Arrested On Corruption Charges
- NYS Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Charged in Corruption Scheme
- Wrinkles In Schenectady Casino Planning
- International Paper Employee Dies From Injuries
Tue February 28, 2006
Joe Donahue's Interview with George McGovern 2/28
Albany, NY – George McGovern served in the U.S. Senate for 18 years and was the 1972 Democratic candidate for President. He is a decorated World War II bomber pilot, holds a Ph.D. from Northwestern University, and directed the first Food for Peace Program under President John F. Kennedy. Just in 2000, he was awarded the Medal of Freedom.
At 83, he is still very much involved in political debate. His latest book is: Social Security and the Golden Age: An Essay on the New American Demographic . In it, he argues that Social Security is NOT facing a crisis. Instead, McGovern discusses ways the program can be maintained. I spoke recently with Senator McGovern about his political career and his thoughts on politics today. But, we began by talking about why he wanted to address the issue of Social Security...
George McGovern's latest is: Social Security and the Golden Age: An Essay on the New American Demographic. The book is published by Fulcrum.