Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
Hudson Valley News
Thu November 15, 2012
Journalists, Bloggers Step Up For Fired Newspaper Reporter
A newspaper in the Catskills is attracting national attention after firing one of its reporters - WAMC's Dave Lucas explains.
The Register-Star in Hudson gave young newsman Tom Casey his walking papers after Casey refused to let his byline go on a story that contained two paragraphs written by an editor who allegedly wanted to bring attention to a city alderman who wouldn't stand for the pledge of allegiance at meetings - something sources say is NOT required under Hudson city code.
National media blogger Jim Romanesko caught wind of the story, while a local blog confirmed that a city editor and two reporters resigned in solidarity with Casey. Another blog published a letter, written by the editorial staff at Hudson-Catskill Newspapers, urging Casey be re-instated. Karrie Allen, editor of the Chatham Courier, signed the letter - she tells WAMC no one at the company will comment.