Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
WAMC New York News
Tue June 8, 2004
Judge Bans Mayor from Wedding Unlicensed Couples
By Allison Dunne
Kingston, NY – A State Supreme Court judge has permanently banned New Paltz Mayor Jason West from marrying couples without a valid marriage license. In his decision, the judge says the mayor has neither the right nor the obligation to disobey a law he believes is unconstitutional. Attorneys who filed the suit against West say they will now file another one to have West removed from office. More from WAMC's Hudson Valley Bureau Chief Allison Dunne.