Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New England News
Mon September 24, 2012
Judge Dismisses Suit to Keep Obama off Vermont Ballot
A judge has refused a Vermont man's request to strike Barack Obama's name from the state's election ballots, claiming he's not a natural born citizen.
The lawsuit was filed by H. Brooke Paige, who said Obama is "not a natural born citizen" because both of his parents were not born in the United States.
Obama was born in Hawaii and is a United States citizen.
Judge Robert Bent ruled Friday that the court has been presented with an insufficient basis on which to issue a temporary or even a preliminary injunction.
The Burlington Free Press reports that the judge also said there was little evidence to support Paige's claim about Obama not being a "natural born citizen," noting that judges in some other states have rejected the issue.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.