Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New York News
Tue September 25, 2012
Judge rejects NY gas drilling lawsuit against feds
A federal judge has rejected state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman's lawsuit seeking to force a full environmental review before the Delaware River Basin Commission allows natural gas drilling in a watershed that provides drinking water for millions of New Yorkers. WAMC's Dave Lucas has more...
U.S. District Court Judge Nicholas Garaufi in Brooklyn ruled Monday in favor of the Army Corps of Engineers, the Environmental Protection Agency and other federal agencies. He said the lawsuit filed last year by Schneiderman was speculative, because the commission hasn't adopted final regulations yet.
A moratorium is in effect in the Delaware River Basin while the commission establishes regulations for high-volume hydraulic fracturing, or fracking. The commission comprises representatives from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and the federal government.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.