Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
North Country News
Wed June 19, 2013
Land Ownership Questioned for Vermont Trail
Development of a trail near Dummerston, Vt., has come to a halt as its ownership is being questioned.
The goal is have the trail follow a 36-mile former West River Railroad route from Brattleboro to Londonderry. It's attracted hikers since the railway's demise in the late 1930s.
Representatives of the nonprofit Friends of the West River Trail say they want to work with property owners and possibly re-route future trail sections.
The Brattleboro Reformer reports some residents just north of the trail's end in Dummerston have signed a petition opposing further development due to privacy concerns.
The trail is well-developed between Londonderry and Townshend. The trail group has begun publicizing the southern section between Brattleboro to an access point in Dummerston, which has brought up land ownership questions.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.