Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
North Country News
Wed June 19, 2013
Land Ownership Questioned for Vermont Trail
Development of a trail near Dummerston, Vt., has come to a halt as its ownership is being questioned.
The goal is have the trail follow a 36-mile former West River Railroad route from Brattleboro to Londonderry. It's attracted hikers since the railway's demise in the late 1930s.
Representatives of the nonprofit Friends of the West River Trail say they want to work with property owners and possibly re-route future trail sections.
The Brattleboro Reformer reports some residents just north of the trail's end in Dummerston have signed a petition opposing further development due to privacy concerns.
The trail is well-developed between Londonderry and Townshend. The trail group has begun publicizing the southern section between Brattleboro to an access point in Dummerston, which has brought up land ownership questions.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.