Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Mon November 11, 2013
Large Crowd Salutes Veterans At Annual Springfield Parade
Veterans and their families were honored Monday with parades and ceremonies throughout the region
A bright sunny day helped to bring out a larger than usual crowd to watch the annual Veterans Day parade in Springfield, Massachusetts. An estimated 500 people stood on city hall plaza and in Court Square to hear speeches and see a wreath –laying. The parade committee’s veteran of the year, Roland Blanchard said it was encouraging to see so many people line the parade route.
Blanchard, who is 90, was in the Army unit commanded by legendary General George S. Patton in Europe during World War II.