Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
- The Truth About The Left Brain / Right Brain Relationship
Mon May 6, 2013
Spice Girls Musical To Close Early
Originally published on Mon May 6, 2013 6:48 am
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Now our last word in business. Critics and ticketholders wanted something more from the Spice Girls musical. So the last word in business today is: sad spice.
You remember the '90s pop phenom, Scary Spice, Baby Spice, Posh Spice, et cetera? Well, the Spice Girls brought us "Viva Forever!" but the musical inspired by it will not live forever - or even past next February, as intended. The show will close in June, after just six months of shows in London, due to scathing reviews and pretty terrible ticket sales. The show reportedly lost over $7 million. Its creator, who was the brainchild behind the musical hit "Mamma Mia," said they just couldn't make this one work.
(SOUNDBITE OF SONG, "IF YOU WANT TO BE MY LOVER")
SPICE GIRLS: (Singing) Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want. So tell me what you want, what you really, really want. I'll tell you what I want, what I really really, want...
GREENE: Critics, apparently, really, really, really wanted the show to close.
That's the business news on MORNING EDITION from NPR News. I'm David Greene. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.