Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Western Massachusetts School Investigates Allegations Of Inappropriate Sexual Conduct
Mon August 13, 2012
A Lasting Legacy In Pomona, Calif.
Originally published on Tue August 14, 2012 12:33 pm
Dr. Jamie Lynn Garcia was a tireless champion for the poor, devoting her life to healthcare for all.
In 2002, she founded the two-room Pomona Free Clinic. Her community needed more. She spent the next 10 years building and staffing an expanded clinic.
In 2010 she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She continued to work through her chemotherapy.
On July 9, 2012, her expanded Pomona Community Health Center opened, ready to serve thousands of homeless and uninsured residents. That same day, Jamie learned her cancer had spread. She died on July 27, leaving a lasting legacy of good works.