Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Mon August 13, 2012
A Lasting Legacy In Pomona, Calif.
Originally published on Tue August 14, 2012 12:33 pm
Dr. Jamie Lynn Garcia was a tireless champion for the poor, devoting her life to healthcare for all.
In 2002, she founded the two-room Pomona Free Clinic. Her community needed more. She spent the next 10 years building and staffing an expanded clinic.
In 2010 she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She continued to work through her chemotherapy.
On July 9, 2012, her expanded Pomona Community Health Center opened, ready to serve thousands of homeless and uninsured residents. That same day, Jamie learned her cancer had spread. She died on July 27, leaving a lasting legacy of good works.