Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New England News
Mon September 17, 2012
Latest MCAS Results To Be Released In Massachusetts
Massachusetts education officials Monday will release the latest statewide student achievement test results. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
State officials will be looking for improvements in third grade reading scores in the latest round of MCAS testing. Several of the state’s struggling urban school systems have stressed reading programs in the early grades. It’s a priority in Holyoke, where school committee member Michael Moriarity says just 25 percent of the third graders are proficient in reading.
Experts say children who can read at their grade level by the time they enter the 4th grade are more likely to be educationally successful and not drop out when they get to high school.