The family of an 11-year-old girl is suing Orange Lakes Resort in Orlando where she was electrocuted by playing mini golf. WAMC's Dave Lucas reports.
The wrongful death lawsuit filed Tuesday in Orlando seeks more than $27 million in damages. Ashton Jojo of Latham, N.Y., was electrocuted June 27 while retrieving a ball from a pond.
The Orlando Sentinel reports the lawsuit also seeks damages for the emotional distress suffered by parents David and Deborah Jojo and their 14-year-old son Donovan.
Resort spokeswoman Stacey Sutherland told the newspaper company policy prohibits commenting on pending litigation. But she said "our hearts go out to the Jojo family during this difficult time."
The family's Miami-based attorney Ira Leesfield says the resort didn't hire a certified electrical contractor or obtain proper permits to replace aging equipment.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press