Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
New England News
Thu November 29, 2012
Liberal Activists Rally On The "Fiscal Cliff"
Dozens of activists from labor, faith-based and community groups rallied on Main Street in Springfield Massachusetts Thursday to send a message to budget negotiators in Washington. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
Speakers at the noon time rally said there should be no cuts to Medicare, Medicaid or other social safety net programs as a way to avoid the so-called “ fiscal cliff”. Tim Carpenter, executive director of Progressive Democrats of America urged President Obama to back Main Street, not Wall Street.
The activists called on the state’s Congressional delegation to back a proposal called “ The Budget For All” It prevents cuts to social programs, raises taxes on corporations and the top two percent of wage earners and redirects military spending to domestic needs.