Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
New England News
Wed July 11, 2012
Life Expectancy At All-time High In Massachusetts
Life expectancy for people in Massachusetts has hit an all time high. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
The Massachusett Department of Public Health report said overall life expectancy was 80. 7 years in 2009…an improvement of more than 2 years over a decade.. The state’s Secretary of Health and Human Services, Dr. Judy Ann Bigby credits better access to medical care and an emphasis on preventing disease.
Mortality rates from strokes, heart disease, cancer and diabetes all dropped and deaths from HIV-AIDS have declined dramatically…At the height of the AIDs epidemic there were nearly a thousand deaths a year.. in 2009 tthere were 124 deaths.