Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Tue May 23, 2006
Listener Essay: Andrew Di Liddo 5/23/06
Albany, NY – When Attorney General Eliot Spitzer described Upstate New York as "Appalachian" earlier this spring, he received harsh criticism from political pundits across the state.
But technically, 14 of New York's counties are designated as Appalachian by the federal government. Today, essayist Andrew Di Liddo describes some of the similarities he sees between rural Appalachia and upstate New York.
Andrew DiLiddo "gets by" in Bennington Vermont, where he teaches science, writes, and works in business management consulting.