Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New England News
Thu December 27, 2012
Longtime Northampton First Night Sponsor Leaving
The future is in question for First Night Northampton, the annual year end arts and music celebration that draws thousands of families to the city’s downtown on the last day of the year. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
After 28 years, this will be the last First Night produced by the Northampton Center For The Arts. Director Penny Burke says the almost year round effort required to secure venues and performers has become too all consuming for the small non profit organization.
A meeting will be held in January with city officials, arts groups and business organization to discuss the future of one of Northampton’s signature events. This year’s First Night, which features more than 70 performers at 20 venues, begins Monday at 1 with a family parade through downtown.