Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
New England News
Wed May 2, 2012
MA Casino Panel Weighs Pre-Qualification Plan
The panel overseeing the Massachusetts’ new gambling law is weighing a plan to pre-qualify potential casino developers in the state. WAMC’s Lucas Willard reports…
Under the proposal discussed by the Gaming Commission on Tuesday, a would-be developer would have to demonstrate that it has sufficient financial backing and a track record in the gaming industry before it can begin negotiations with a host community.
A spokeswoman for the five-member commission said the panel would study the idea further before deciding whether to adopt it.
Also Tuesday, commissioners selected Stan McGee, an official in the state office of Housing and Economic Development, to serve as the panel's interim executive director until a permanent director is found.
The commission also named Elaine Driscoll as its full-time communications director. She's currently a spokeswoman for the Boston Police Department.
Lucas Willard, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.