Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
New England News
Wed April 18, 2012
MA Gaming Panel Hoping to Delay Key Deadline
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission is pressing lawmakers to push back a key deadline by as much of a year, saying taking over the duties of the state racing commission will make it harder to get new casinos up and running. WAMC's Tristan O’Neill reports…
Commission chairman Steven Crosby said the panel will meet the May 20 deadline if needed, but said delaying the takeover makes more sense.
Crosby said the commission is also working to better respond to city and town leaders who are already asking questions about potential casinos in their communities.
Crosby said in some cases smaller towns are overwhelmed and may need organizational and financial support to help assess the prospect of a casino.
Commission members also said they're also hoping to get better information on potential jobs numbers and revenue from casinos.
Tristan O'Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.