Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
WAMC New York News
Fri May 2, 2003
MA House Proposes New Fines to Protect Rape Centers
By Arlen Cellana
Pittsfield, MA – A proposal to create new fines for convicted sex offenders and restraining order violators and to raise fees for parolees was passed on a voice vote yesterday in the Massachusetts House of Representatives. The new package will bring in over three and half million dollars per year and the money would be used to continue funding for the state's rape crisis centers and women's shelters. Berkshire Bureau Chief Arlen Cellana reports.