Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Tue April 10, 2012
MA Lawmakers Plan Hearing on Pot Question
Massachusetts lawmakers are planning to hold a hearing on a ballot question that would legalize the medical use of marijuana. WAMC's Tristan O'Neill reports...
The ballot question would allow patients with debilitating medical conditions such as cancer, AIDS and multiple sclerosis to get permission from their doctors to use marijuana.
The plan also calls for the state to register up to 35 nonprofit medical treatment centers around the state to distribute the marijuana.
Attorney General Martha Coakley has certified the initiative to appear on the November ballot.
Tuesday's hearing by the legislature's Committee on Public Health is scheduled to take place in Gardner Auditorium at the Statehouse.
The ballot question is being bankrolled almost entirely by Ohio billionaire Peter Lewis, chairman of the board of the auto insurer Progressive Corp.
Tristan O'Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.