Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
New England News
Tue April 10, 2012
MA Lawmakers Plan Hearing on Pot Question
Massachusetts lawmakers are planning to hold a hearing on a ballot question that would legalize the medical use of marijuana. WAMC's Tristan O'Neill reports...
The ballot question would allow patients with debilitating medical conditions such as cancer, AIDS and multiple sclerosis to get permission from their doctors to use marijuana.
The plan also calls for the state to register up to 35 nonprofit medical treatment centers around the state to distribute the marijuana.
Attorney General Martha Coakley has certified the initiative to appear on the November ballot.
Tuesday's hearing by the legislature's Committee on Public Health is scheduled to take place in Gardner Auditorium at the Statehouse.
The ballot question is being bankrolled almost entirely by Ohio billionaire Peter Lewis, chairman of the board of the auto insurer Progressive Corp.
Tristan O'Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.