Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New England News
Thu October 25, 2012
MA Lawyers Call for Outside Probe of Drug Lab
A call is being made for the appointment of an independ
ent investigator to oversee the probe of the testing scandal at a state drug lab.
The Massachusetts Bar Association and the American Civil Liberties Union were among the groups to sign a letter sent on Wednesday to Attorney General Martha Coakley, asking her to appoint the outside investigator to fully examine what happened at the lab.
Former chemist Annie Dookhan has been accused of mishandling drug samples, potentially jeopardizing thousands of criminal cases.
Martin Healy, chief legal counsel for the bar association, said the crisis calls for a wider investigation to restore public confidence.
A spokesman for Coakley said the letter was under review, but added the office was surprised by the letter because it had been working with defense attorneys to conduct a "fair, complete and transparent" probe.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press