Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
New England News
Tue May 8, 2012
MA Trooper in Rockwell Work Dies at 83
A retired Massachusetts state trooper who was a model for Norman Rockwell's 1958 Saturday Evening Post illustration, "The Runaway," has died. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
Massachusetts State Police said 83-year-old retired Staff Sgt. Richard Clemens Jr. died Sunday after a brief illness.
Rockwell, Clemens' neighbor in the Berkshires town of Stockbridge, asked the trooper to pose for the illustration along with a local 8-year-old boy, Ed Locke. The work shows a trooper in a diner counseling a boy with a knapsack. State police reunited Clemens and Locke for a 50th anniversary celebration in 2008.
Police Col. Marian McGovern said the image shows "the highest ideal of police work: helping someone in need at a vulnerable moment."
Clemens lived in New York State in recent years. His funeral will be Friday in Clifton Park, N.Y.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.