Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New England News
Fri March 23, 2012
MA Unemployment Rate Remains Unchanged in February
BOSTON, MA (WAMC) - The unemployment rate in Massachusetts was unchanged in February even as a report said the state's economy added jobs. WAMC's Paul Tuthill reports...
The unemployment rate in Massachusetts has been stuck at 6.9 percent for three consecutive months, according to the state's Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development.
Kevin Lynn of the FutureWorks Career Center in Springfield says it's a sign people who'd given up looking for work are returning to the labor market.
"Which means that they're going to be counted in the unemployment sector, so when the government does a survey of unemployment, they could actually cause the unemployment rate to tick up some, so I wouldn't get overly concerned if it does that."
Lynn said employers are showing more confidence in the economic recovery. State officials said Massachusetts added 9,100 jobs in February.
Paul Tuthill, WAMC News.
© Copyright 2012, WAMC