Malloy: Conn. Working On Shutdown Contingency Plan
Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy says his administration is working on a plan to help fund some programs in Connecticut affected by the partial federal government shutdown.
The Democrat said Tuesday the contingency plan will be released in the "coming days," but warned that the state does not have an unlimited amount to spend.
The state has so far spent less than $900,000 on programs affected by the shutdown, mostly funds to keep a Bridgeport-area Head Start program open. Malloy said he spoke with federal officials to see if Connecticut will be reimbursed once a federal budget deal is reached, but no final decision has been made.
Malloy is concerned about federal funds not reaching "life-sustaining programs," such as the Women, Infants and Children food program and services for disabled veterans.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.