Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- MTA Police Identify Passengers Who Died In Metro-North Train Derailment
New York News
Fri May 25, 2012
Man Arrested in Disappearance of NYC Boy Etan Patz
Authorities in New York City say they've cracked a 33-year-old case that helped focus national attention on missing children — the disappearance of Etan Patz. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly announced Thursday that 51-year-old Pedro Hernandez has been arrested on a murder charge. He’s awaiting arraignment. It was the first arrest ever in the 1979 case.
Kelly says Hernandez confessed to choking the boy and putting his body in the trash.
Police say Hernandez doesn't yet have a lawyer. No one answered the door Thursday night at his home in Maple Shade, N.J.
Hernandez worked at a convenience store near Etan's home when the 6-year-old vanished. He was on his way to school on May 25, 1979 – 33 years ago today. He was one of the first missing children to appear on a milk carton.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.