Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New York News
Fri May 25, 2012
Man Arrested in Disappearance of NYC Boy Etan Patz
Authorities in New York City say they've cracked a 33-year-old case that helped focus national attention on missing children — the disappearance of Etan Patz. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly announced Thursday that 51-year-old Pedro Hernandez has been arrested on a murder charge. He’s awaiting arraignment. It was the first arrest ever in the 1979 case.
Kelly says Hernandez confessed to choking the boy and putting his body in the trash.
Police say Hernandez doesn't yet have a lawyer. No one answered the door Thursday night at his home in Maple Shade, N.J.
Hernandez worked at a convenience store near Etan's home when the 6-year-old vanished. He was on his way to school on May 25, 1979 – 33 years ago today. He was one of the first missing children to appear on a milk carton.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.