Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Mon January 14, 2013
Man faces sentencing for credit card scam
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — A Philadelphia man faces sentencing in Connecticut for stealing credit cards from women's pocketbooks he reached while crawling on movie theater floors.
Anthony Johnson is scheduled to be sentenced Friday in U.S. District Court in Hartford. A jury in October found him guilty of charges of using stolen credit cards and identity theft.
Authorities say Johnson and accomplices used the stolen cards to collect thousands of dollars in cash advances at Mohegan Sun casino and make retail purchases of tens of thousands of dollars in Connecticut and elsewhere.
An accomplice testified that Johnson usually bought tickets to movies that were popular with women. She said Johnson slithered like a snake across movie theater floors before reaching inside partially opened purses and taking the credit cards.