Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New England News
Mon January 14, 2013
Man faces sentencing for credit card scam
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — A Philadelphia man faces sentencing in Connecticut for stealing credit cards from women's pocketbooks he reached while crawling on movie theater floors.
Anthony Johnson is scheduled to be sentenced Friday in U.S. District Court in Hartford. A jury in October found him guilty of charges of using stolen credit cards and identity theft.
Authorities say Johnson and accomplices used the stolen cards to collect thousands of dollars in cash advances at Mohegan Sun casino and make retail purchases of tens of thousands of dollars in Connecticut and elsewhere.
An accomplice testified that Johnson usually bought tickets to movies that were popular with women. She said Johnson slithered like a snake across movie theater floors before reaching inside partially opened purses and taking the credit cards.