Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Major Decisions On Casinos, Hydrofracking And Thruway Tolls Due Before End Of Year
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
- Listener Essay - Reflections On A Life Well Lived
New England News
Thu June 26, 2014
Man Fatally Shot By Police In Springfield
A man was shot dead by a police officer in Springfield, Massachusetts Thursday after he allegedly confronted officers with a knife.
A police officer shot and killed 34 year old David Kingsbury of Springfield in a second floor apartment on Mill Street after he allegedly threatened the officer and his partner with a large kitchen knife. According to a press release from the Springfield Police Department, the officers were sent just after midnight to investigate reports that a man was slashing tires in the parking lot of the apartment building and breaking windows. Police had to force their way through a barricaded door of the apartment where they found Kingsbury wielding the knife. The officers, whose names were not released, have been placed on desk duty. The Hampden District Attorney’s office will investigate the shooting.