Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
Tue September 18, 2012
Man Sues to Keep President From Vermont November Ballot
The Vermont man who lost the state's Republican primary to run for the U.S. Senate is asking a court to strike President Barack Obama's name from the state's November election ballot.
The lawsuit by H. Brooke Paige, of the town of Washington, claims Obama is "not a natural born citizen" because both of his parents were not born in the United States.
Obama was born in Hawaii and he is a United States citizen.
The Burlington Free Press reports Paige's argument is that Obama's father, Barack Hussein Obama Sr., was born in Kenya and so the president doesn't meet a 1758 definition of "a natural born citizen."
Paige's lawsuit asks for an expedited hearing. The state's election ballots are scheduled to be printed in the next week.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.