Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
Mon August 6, 2012
Marcellus Shale Named Most Productive Gas Field in US
New data from energy industry analysts and the federal government show that the Marcellus Shale is about to become the most productive natural gas field in the United States, even though serious drilling only began five years ago.
The volume of Marcellus production suggests that in some ways there's no going back, even as New York debates whether to allow drilling in its portion of the shale. It also lies under large parts of Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio.
Jay Apt, a professor of technology at Carnegie Mellon University, questions whether the bounty will fuel the growth of local industry, or whether it will be shipped to Canada, the Gulf Coast or even overseas, where the price of natural gas is much higher.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press