Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Mon May 6, 2013
Markey Again Asks Gomez To Sign "People's Pledge"
Democrat Edward Markey is pressing his Republican opponent in the state's special U.S. Senate election to sign a pledge to discourage outside groups from spending money on TV, radio and Internet campaign ads.
Markey sent a letter to Republican Gabriel Gomez Friday asking that he join him at the Omni Parker House in Boston today to sign the so-called "People's Pledge."
Gomez refused to sign the pledge and instead demanded Markey return the millions he's received from political action committees during his three decades in Congress.
Gomez said Markey should also donate to charity the more than $1 million spent by outside groups on his behalf during the just-completed Democratic primary.
Republican Scott Brown and Democrat Elizabeth Warren signed a similar "People's Pledge" last year.
The special election is June 25.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.